Online MBA: Accounting Specialization
Master modern accounting methods and technologies.
Learn More Today
Complete the form to get additional information about this program.
- Duration 2 years
- Cost per Credit $965
- Credit Hours 36-48
- No GMAT/GRE required and no application fee
- Solve business problems with accounting-based insights and reporting technology
- Prepare for the CPA Exam
- Median salary for accountants and auditors is $73,5601
Prepare for the CPA Exam
Our online MBA offers an Accounting specialization that helps you gain skills for solving complex business problems and maintaining a financially healthy organization. You’ll learn from expert faculty and graduate prepared to sit for the CPA exam*,** or pursue leadership roles in the economics or marketing fields.
With an accounting specialization, you can master the theory and skills business leaders need to optimize processes, increase value and make decisions within an ethical framework. The University of Scranton’s online Accounting specialization features a global perspective on business and includes a focus on the Triple Bottom Line theory — an emphasis on sustainable development as it relates to social, fiscal and environmental factors.
The University of Scranton’s online Accounting Program meets the NYS CPA license education requirements as an “Equivalent to a NYS Licensure Qualifying Registered Program.” And with tuition rates much lower than other top-ranked universities, we’re proud to provide you an exceptional value for your investment.
Career Outlook: Rising Demand for Accounting Leadership Skills
Business leaders with an accounting background can expect high demand over the next decade, with job opportunities for financial managers increasing 17% between 2020 and 2030.2 In 2020, the median salary for financial managers was $134,180, with the top 10% earning more than $208,000 annually.3
Accountants and auditors earned a median salary of $73,560 in 2020, with the top 10% earning more than $128,680 annually.1 In any of these positions, leadership skills from your online MBA can position you to become a top earner.View Career Outlook
Curriculum: Accredited Accounting Expertise
The online MBA program is guided by Scranton’s Jesuit tradition and housed in the Kania School of Management, one of the few elite online schools accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). You’ll graduate with a mastery of business competencies rooted in ethics and sustainability.
Coursework for the Accounting specialization includes International Accounting, Financial Reporting and Research, Advanced Auditing and more. This specialization is taken as part of the 36 total credits required for the online MBA degree.Curriculum
Gain Mastery in Accounting Online
Scranton’s MBA: Accounting specialization includes a curriculum that can prepare you to:
- Sit for the CPA exam or other industry credential exams (please review https://nasba.org/stateboards/ for state-by-state qualifications).
- Prepare and navigate accounting reports to analyze and interpret financial data in public, private and government roles and inform a systematic approach to decision-making and solving business problems.
- Improve processes and identify ineffective practices resulting from poorly integrated processes.
- Evaluate decisions within an ethical framework and critique decisions on the basis of social responsibility and environmental sustainability.
We offer eight robust specializations and a customizable general MBA option, so you can gain the exact skills needed to succeed in the area you’re passionate about.
MBA: Business Analytics
Make sense of big data to help companies survive and thrive with theory and new hands-on skills in business strategy.
MBA: Enterprise Resource Planning
Learn real-world methodologies to lead in enterprise resource planning in a program that’s officially partnered with SAP.
Get the skills to conduct financial analyses, develop capital budgets and assess an organization’s overall financial health.
MBA: Healthcare Management
Supervise healthcare facilities, plan and direct operations and manage teams to ensure excellent patient care.
MBA: Human Resources Management
Acquire skills in strategic staffing, evaluating workplace operational goal setting and enterprise-level human resource management.
MBA: International Business
Navigate global business well-versed in global finance, international politics, cross-cultural differences and supply chain management.
MBA: Operations Management
Equip yourself to lead your organization with project management, quality control and financial management skills.
To apply for Scranton’s Master of Business Administration program, you’ll need:
- Completed application
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities
- Professional résumé
- 3 years of professional or supervisory experience
- Statement of intent
- 3 letters of reference — at least 1 from a supervisor or other professional reference
- A written response to a case study***
- No GMAT/GRE required
Find more details on the MBA Admissions Requirements page.Admissions Info
The MBA program at The University of Scranton consists of 36 credits and costs $965 per credit hour.
We strive to provide you with an affordable, high-quality education. That’s why U.S. News & World Report ranked us a Best Value School and one of the top Regional Universities North for 2022.4See Tuition
Faculty: The Kania School’s Team of Specialized Experts
As a Kania School of Management student, you’ll have access to industry experts, each with a focused background that aligns with our specialized curriculum.
No matter what you’re passionate about in business, you’ll connect with a network of mentors who share your enthusiasm and can teach you exactly what you need to know.Kania School Faculty
Earn a degree without interrupting your career. You’ll be part of an online learning community led by a diverse and expert faculty. Online programs reflect the same rigorous standards as our on-campus programs.Scranton Online
Financial aid options are available to help you pay for your education. A personal financial aid counselor will assist you in identifying and taking full advantage of all opportunities.Financial Aid Details
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question we don’t cover here, request more information or call 866-373-9547.
Yes, three years of professional or supervisory work experience is required, along with an affidavit of work experience signed by a supervisor or employer. To learn more, contact a recruitment team representative by calling toll-free at (866) 373-9547.
The University of Scranton does not require any entrance exams. Three years of management experience is required for admission.
The online Master of Business Administration program accepts up to six transfer credits with program director approval. To learn more about credit transfers, request more information or call us at 866-373-9547.
Yes, the online MBA program offers eight specialization options, including accounting, business analytics, enterprise resource planning, finance, healthcare management, human resources management, international business, and operations management. Learn more about our selection of MBA specializations here.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2021 September 8). Accountants and Auditors: Pay. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved February 18, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/accountants-and-auditors.htm#tab-5
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2021 September 8). Financial Managers. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved February 4, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/financial-managers.htm
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2021 September 8). Financial Managers: Pay. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved February 4, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/financial-managers.htm#tab-5
- U.S. News & World Report (2022). The University of Scranton Rankings. Retrieved February 3, 2022, from https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-scranton-3384/overall-rankings
*For state-by-state CPA exam qualifications, please check https://nasba.org/stateboards/.
**The University of Scranton Accounting Program also meets the NYS CPA license education requirements as an “Equivalent to a NYS Licensure Qualifying Registered Program.” Learn more about the NYS CPA license education requirements.
***May be required for some applicants. You will be informed of your individual requirement after a review of your completed application.