Located in Northeast Pennsylvania, two hours from Philadelphia, New York City and Syracuse, N.Y., The University of Scranton is a private institution rooted in the Jesuit traditions of free inquiry, ethical integrity and social justice.
We’re dedicated to the pursuit of lifelong learning and offer you robust programs designed to deliver a world-class education tailored to your individual interests and goals.
Why Choose The University of Scranton?
At Scranton, we encourage your development both personally and professionally. You’ll graduate ready to harness your personal ambition to promote justice and the common good across the world.
Because we maintain a selective admissions process, you’ll join a community of highly motivated peers. And with class sizes capped at 20 students, you’re assured increased access to our expert professors who can provide personalized attention.
As an online student, you’ll receive the same renowned education and degree as our on-campus students, graduating with the skills, credentials and confidence to elevate your career.
Request More Information
Whether you’re curious about The University of Scranton’s application process, admissions requirements, tuition and financial aid or specific program details, we’re here to help.
Fill out this form, and we’ll be in touch shortly.
The University of Scranton is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE).
Scranton’s Kania Business School is accredited by Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), a distinction received by only five percent of business schools worldwide.
Our online Master of Health Administration was one of the first online programs to be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME).
The Master of Science in Health Informatics is accredited from the prestigious Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
- No. 5 Regional School in the North, as well as No. 5 Most Innovative School and No. 12 Best Undergraduate Teaching in the North, according to U.S. News & World Report‘s2020 rankings
- MBA program ranked in the top 15 for general management by Entrepreneur magazine and The Princeton Review
- A Best Value College for 11 consecutive years according to Forbes
- No. 1 online MAcc program in the U.S. and one of the best online master’s in human resources management according to Best Colleges
- MBA ranked No. 6 among Faith-Based Colleges, No. 8 in Pennsylvania, and No. 23 among national private colleges according to Online MBA Report
- No. 3 best online master’s degrees in accounting, according to Best College Reviews and No. 4 according to Master’s Program Guide and Accounting Degree Review
- Founded in 1888 by the Most Reverend William G. O’Hara, D.D., the first Bishop of Scranton
- Achieved university status in 1938 and entrusted to the care of the Society of Jesus in 1942
- Accreditation from 16 accrediting agencies in the fields of business and management, nursing, computer science, physical therapy, occupational therapy, chemistry, and counseling
The University of Scranton is a Catholic and Jesuit university animated by the spiritual vision and the tradition of excellence characteristic of the Society of Jesus and those who share its way of life.
The University is a community dedicated to the freedom of inquiry and personal development fundamental to the growth in wisdom and integrity of all who share its life.
The University of Scranton will be boldly driven by a shared commitment to excellence. We will provide a superior, transformational learning experience, preparing students who, in the words of Jesuit founder St. Ignatius Loyola, will “set the world on fire.”
We’re driven by Jesuit values rooted in social justice:
- Pursuit of excellence and development of personal potential
- Commitment to service
- Experiential learning
- Global perspective with respect for the world’s history and mystery
- Contemplative vision informed by hope and an appreciation of things both great and small
- Discerning mindset, critical thinking and effective communication
- Interconnected faith and justice with special concern for the poor and oppressed
Our History, Our Future
The University of Scranton was founded in 1888 by the Most Reverend William G. O’Hara, D.D., fulfilling his vision of offering higher education in the Lackawanna Valley. O’Hara blessed a single block of granite as the cornerstone, and the University accepted its first students four years later.
In 1942, under new guidance of Jesuit leaders, the university adopted an emphasis on liberal arts and social justice, which remains at the foundation of all Scranton’s programs.
Today, our goals for the 21st century come to life through our new strategic plan.
- The Humanities as a Foundation for Transformation: Ensure that the Scranton student experience is transformational, integrated and grounded in the humanities as a pathway to understanding the human experience in its many dimensions.
- Faith, Passion and Purpose – The Student’s Journey: Engage students as individuals through personal attention that helps them explore their faith, discern their purpose and pursue their passion, as they work to create a more just and sustainable world.
- Advancing the University Through Innovation: Advance the University into the future by challenging ourselves to educate and support an ever-changing, diverse landscape of students in ways that are affordable, relevant and innovative.
- Diversity & Inclusion – A Welcome and Supportive Community: Reflect and understand the diversity of the world by demanding that diversity be a priority as we build an inclusive community and campus culture, develop and deliver our education and shape our student experience.
- Growing Partnerships in Our Mission: Invite and inspire our alumni, parents, friends and community to be partners in the mission of the University.
To discover how an online degree from Scranton can make a difference in your life, request more information or call 866-373-9547 to speak with a program manager.