Earn a SHRM-aligned HR master’s degree from a top 10 university.
- Ranked a top-5 regional university in the north by U.S. News & World Report1
- Flexible format — 100% online coursework and no application fee
- High salary potential — the median salary for HR managers was $121,220 in 2020, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics2
The University of Scranton’s online MS in Human Resources Management degree turns your passion for people into a rewarding career. Gain the knowledge and skills prescribed by the Society for Human Resource Management’s (SHRM) HR Curriculum Guidebook and be eligible to apply for the Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) exam upon graduation.*
What Makes Us Unique?
A Curriculum Designed for Success. Following SHRM’s curriculum standards, courses in the online MS in Human Resources Management program instill you with innate problem-solving and critical thinking skills routed in ethics and a people-first approach. Graduate with a mastery of staffing, salary planning, negotiation and more.
A Robust Professional Network. Gain membership to the student chapter of the SHRM and directly connect with other HR degree program graduates who have been in your shoes. We help you build a pathway to career success in human resources.
Learn More Today
Complete the form to get additional information about this program.
Expand Your Skills, Network and Possibilities
Ranked as one of the best regional universities in the north by U.S. News & World Report in 2022,1 The University of Scranton provides you with the education, resources and networking opportunities you’ll need to succeed after graduation.
In addition to common HR skills like compensation and benefits, the online HR master’s degree teaches you to drive your organization’s performance with effective decision-making and strategic planning.
Take advantage of the same benefits that on-campus students enjoy. For instance, you’ll get access to networking opportunities, including correspondence with fellow online HR degree program graduates — as well as membership to the student chapter of the SHRM.
HR Career OutLook: Six-Figure Median Incomes
The career outlook for human resources managers is steady, with an expected 9% increase from 2020 to 2030.2 Human resources managers made a median annual income of $121,220 in 2020 and the top 10% of earners in this role made over $208,000.3
With your master’s degree from Scranton and a potential SHRM certification, you’ll be With your online master’s degree from Scranton and a potential SHRM certification, you’ll be well-positioned to seek these top roles.Career Outlook
Curriculum: SHRM-Aligned Human Resources Courses
Offered in a flexible online format, the Master of Science in Human Resources Management program integrates up-to-date industry research to develop the critical thinking and problem-solving skills an HR professional needs. Our curriculum aligns with standards established by the SHRM, with an emphasis on development, strategy and communication.
You’ll gain a mastery of HR topics such as collective bargaining, compensation and the strategic development skills needed to achieve organizational goals, all through the perspective of Scranton’s Jesuit tradition and commitment to ethics.Curriculum
Program Outcomes: A Well-Rounded HR Skill Set
After completing this online master’s degree program, you’ll be able to:
- Understand the theory and practice of processes used to promote effective performance, development and job satisfaction.
- Navigate the changing nature of the modern workplace as influenced by social, economic, technological and educational forces, both nationally and globally.
- Create strategic plans that address your organization’s staffing needs and drive more effective decision-making.
- Implement control and budgeting systems that align with an organization’s overall financial plan.
- Develop an effective rewards system that motivates employees and improves workplace satisfaction.
To apply for the online Master of Science in Human Resources Management program from The University of Scranton, you’ll need:
- Completed application
- 3.0 minimum undergraduate GPA
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Official transcripts from all previously attended institutions
- A personal statement
- 3 letters of recommendation from academic or professional references
The online Master of Science in Human Resources Management program at Scranton consists of 33 credit hours and costs $875 per credit hour.
We strive to provide you with an affordable, high-quality education. That’s why U.S. News & World Report ranked us a Best Value School and one of the top Regional Universities North for 2022.1See Tuition
Our Experienced HR Faculty Help You Succeed
Led by program director Dr. Ken Zula, SPHR, SHRM-SCP, the Master of Science in Human Resources Management program is taught by a team of engaged, energetic faculty members who are experts in the field and passionate about helping students take the next step in their careers.Faculty at Scranton
Earn a degree without interrupting your career. You’ll be part of an online learning community led by a diverse and expert faculty. Online programs reflect the same rigorous standards as our on-campus programs.Scranton Online
Financial aid options are available to help you pay for your education. A personal financial aid counselor will assist you in identifying and taking full advantage of all opportunities.Financial Aid Details
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question we don’t cover here, request more information or call 866-373-9547.
To apply for the program, you must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, along with a 3.0 minimum undergraduate GPA. You must also submit your official transcripts, professional resume, personal statement, and three letters of recommendation. You can learn more about our admissions requirements here.
Admission to the Master of Science in Human Resources Management program does not require an entrance exam. You can learn more about our admissions policy here.
You can complete the program in 21-22 months part-time. This program is designed for one class at a time but students can talk to their advisors about doubling up classes to finish quicker. To see the curriculum, view our courses page.
The online Master of Science in Human Resources Management program can possibly accept up to 6 transfer credits with program director approval. To learn more about credit transfers, request more information or call us at 866-373-9547.
- U.S. News & World Report (2022). The University of Scranton Rankings. Retrieved February 3, 2022, from https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-scranton-3384/overall-rankings
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2022 January 24). Human Resources Managers. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved February 3, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/human-resources-managers.htm
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2022 January 24). Human Resources Managers: Pay. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved February 18, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/human-resources-managers.htm#tab-5
*To qualify for the SHRM-CP exam, students must be in their final year of the HR program and must be able to provide proof of a minimum of 500 hours of relevant HR experience. For full details, visit the SHRM website.