Nearly a half-million jobs projected through 2028.
From nationwide physician shortages to the health services demands of seniors to ever-evolving legislation, healthcare is continually changing.
With The University of Scranton, you’ll become a flexible leader who can stay on top of the nation’s fastest-growing industry1 and back up the important work of caring for patients.
- 2016-2017 graduates of the MHA had a 94.7% job placement rate, with most finding employment in a hospital or health system
- 18% growth projected for medical and health services managers from 2018–2028, more than 3x the national average and even faster than healthcare overall1,2
- $99,730 median annual salary for healthcare administrators, with those in government positions earning as much as $110,4602
You’ll complete the Master of Health Administration fluent in the business of healthcare, the language of insurance companies, and the requirements of government agencies.
Build a career working alongside physicians, surgeons, nurses, and others as you manage the business side of healing human beings.
As a hospital director, you’d supervise department leaders, evaluate staff performance, make or approve business decisions, and create long-range strategic plans. Above all, you’d ensure exceptional patient care.3
As a clinical manager, you’d handle all administrative aspects of patient care, including scheduling staff, keeping operations on budget, working with insurance companies, developing company policies, managing information systems, and updating patient records.4
Director of Health Information Management:
As a director of health information, you’d oversee your organization’s electronic medical records systems, programs, and personnel. You’d keep all patient data confidential and accurate, and all record-keeping systems federally compliant.5
You can prepare for this position with the Health Informatics specialization.
Global Health Administrator:
As a global health administrator, you’d harness your leadership skills to improve outcomes in developing countries. You might support NGOs fighting infectious diseases, gender-based violence, high infant mortality rates, and other issues.6
You can prepare for this position with the Global Health specialization.
Additional roles for Master of Health Administration Graduates:
- lBenefits Manager
- Case Manager
- Central Services Representative
- Clinical Manager
- Health Information Manager
- Healthcare Coordinator
- Healthcare Executive
- Hospital Administrator
- Human Resources Generalist
- Nursing Home Administrator*
- Quality Assurance Leader
- Training and Development Specialist
*This position may require additional certification.
Request More Information
Whether you’re curious about The University of Scranton’s application process, admissions requirements, tuition and financial aid or specific program details, we’re here to help.
Fill out this form, and we’ll be in touch shortly.
Program Outcomes: Excel as a Leader
The MHA is based on the ACHE Healthcare Leadership Alliance competency model, to ensure you graduate with the core skills you need to excel as a healthcare leader.
You will complete this program ready to:
- Excel as a healthcare leader across settings, including hospitals, medical groups, consulting firms, health insurance companies, long-term care facilities, and beyond.
- Keep up with industry advancements and ensure your organization’s business practices are up to date.
- Apply skills in organizational management, strategic planning, community relations, education, finance, internal operations, and more.
- Improve community and population health by uncovering the links between access, quality, cost, and resource allocation (Health Informatics specialization).
- Explain the ethical, social, and environmental consequences of local and national decisions on global health systems (Global Health specialization).
Learn more about the skills you’ll gain in the online Master of Health Administration on our Curriculum page.
Specializations: Stand Out From Your Competition
An MHA specialization gives you the deeper skill set you need to stand out for the best positions. You also get to pursue an area you’re passionate about.
MHA: Health Informatics
Put health informatics to use across healthcare institutions, community organizations and the public sector.
MHA: Global Health
Confront global health challenges and be prepared to support organizations and healthcare providers around the world.
Scranton Career Support
Whether you’re just starting out or advancing in your field, the Gerard R. Roche Center for Career Development is here to support you.
Both before and after you graduate, our experienced advisors can help you build your career and find opportunities that suit your unique skills and talents.
Let’s work together to ensure your success. We can’t wait to get to know you.
Join a network of more than 45,000 accomplished Scranton alumni, who live across the nation and in more than 20 countries around the world.
Take advantage of Firsthand (formerly Vault), a comprehensive resource for all career planning purposes.
Receive help with your résumé, cover letter, or online profile, and practice meeting with potential employers using Big Interview, an online interview preparation tool.
Get exclusive access to Handshake, our online recruiting platform, and connect with new jobs, career fairs, recruitment activities, skill-building workshops, and more.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2019 September 4). Healthcare Occupations. Occupational Outlook Handbook.Retrieved December 12, 2019, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/home.htm.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2019 September 4). Medical and Health Services Manager. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved December 12, 2019, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/medical-and-health-services-managers.htm.
- Payscale (n.d.) Average Hospital Director Salary. Retrieved December 12, 2019, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Hospital_Director/Salary.
- Payscale (2019 November 12). Average Clinical Manager Salary. Retrieved December 12, 2019, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Manager/Salary.
- Burning Glass Technologies: Labor Insight™. Retrieved December 12, 2019.
- Comparably (n.d.) Global Health Administrator Salary. Retrieved December 12, 2019, from https://www.comparably.com/salaries/salaries-for-global-health-administrator.