Online Master of Accountancy (MAcc) Degree
Master all aspects of accountancy from an AACSB-accredited school.
- We’ve been ranked in the Top 10 Regional Universities in the North for 28 consecutive years by U.S. News & World Report
- Scranton’s Kania School of Management has been listed among the nation’s “Best Business Schools” by The Princeton Review for 16 consecutive years
- In College Factual’s 2022 rankings, The University of Scranton is ranked the #3 Best Value Master’s Degree Colleges for Accounting1
- For its outstanding research and publications, Scranton’s Accounting Department has received more Lybrand awards than any other program in the world over the past ten years2
- Complete flexibility and convenience — 100% online courses
- Bridge Option — accounting bachelor’s not required for admission
- Pick from 2 accounting specializations — Forensic Accounting or Accounting Analytics Specialization
- Exclusive discount for the Wiley CPAexcel prep tool
From its rigorous accounting curriculum to its exceptional faculty, the Online MAcc program prepares you with an elite education rooted in the Kania School of Management’s distinction as an AACSB-accredited institution.
What Makes Scranton’s Online MAcc Unique?
Bridge Program. Scranton’s online MAcc degree program offers a bridge program that gives you a pathway to earn your Master of Accountancy degree even if you hold a non-accounting bachelor’s degree. You’ll get the training, prereqs, and acumen needed to succeed and thrive in the program.
Scranton’s Accounting Department Professional Alumni Council. The online MAcc program ensures you receive a relevant, real-world, and timely education. That’s why we leverage our professional alumni council, a group of practicing CPAs, to help inform our course content so that you learn the most current accounting approaches, theories, and practices. The council is made up of expert practitioners, bringing in decades of experience as leaders in all of the Big 4 accounting firms and both domestic and international accounting.
Save Money on CPA Test Prep. Your MAcc degree prepares you to sit immediately for and succeed at the CPA exam. As a Scranton student, you’re eligible for a deep discount on Wiley CPAexcel®, an exam prep tool endorsed by the Big 4 accounting firms. Learn more about the benefits of this prep tool.
Learn More Today
Complete the form to get additional information about this program.
- Duration 12 months
- Cost per Credit $895
- Credit Hours 30
- Accounting positions are projected to grow 7% through 20303
- No previous work experience required
- No application fee
- Courses include applied communication, auditing, taxation and regulation, and accounting ethics
DOUGLAS BOYLE: One thing that’s very unique about our online program is we didn’t force fit a program that we already had to the online format. We designed our program completely with the practitioner in mind. We put together a council of partners who work in public accounting, and many of them work at the big four and other firms. And that council is really working hand in hand with us on curriculum development, on mentoring our students, and providing them with the skill sets that they need to be successful.
To have a good online experience, it’s not just the faculty talking, but it’s really your peer group and your fellow students. And my experience has been our program attracts students of that caliber.
DANIEL MAHONEY: We place an emphasis on the development of interpersonal skills, whether interacting with colleagues at the firm or our clients. Another one of the key goals and objectives of our program is the development of strong ethical skills within the individual.
DOUGLAS BOYLE: A lot of our students are going to be pursuing the CPA exam, so we really want to develop them in areas that are going to help them succeed in their career. It’s not just a public accounting focused program. It’s also what it would take to advance your career through the private ranks up to titles like controllers and CFOs.
DANIEL MAHONEY: A student who has a particular interest in the area of forensic accounting might find it appealing that, within our program, we do offer three very specialized courses in that area. The certified fraud examiner focuses on the detection and deterrence of fraud in general.
DOUGLAS BOYLE: As folks rise up the ranks in accounting, to have really strong ethics and to have really strong networks and to have really strong interpersonal skills is absolutely critical and vital. So really, that ties in perfectly with our Jesuit mission because here at the University of Scranton, we’ve always taught those things.
Lead With Integrity and Purpose
In the Master of Accountancy (MAcc), gaining practical, hands-on skills in accounting is just the beginning. You will also develop the soft skills you need to truly succeed as a business leader.
You’ll practice functional, purposeful, and strategic communication, and graduate ready to guide your clients, accounts, and teams to success.
The online MAcc embodies the ethical foundations of a Jesuit education, so you’re ready to act with integrity and ethics and harness your accounting expertise to advance the common good.
For these reasons and more, the MAcc is consistently top-ranked by The Princeton Review, U.S. News & World Report, and College Factual. In the 2021 Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) Lybrand competition, faculty from the University of Scranton’s accounting program were recognized in four Lynbrand awards.2
“This has been the best experience with faculty and staff and I feel that I am prepared to take the CPA exam next year based on the knowledge I have learned in this program.”– Keri Hindman, 2017 Master of Accountancy Student
|Succeed at the CPA||Bridge the Gap|
|We offer students a deep discount on Wiley CPAexcel®, an exam preparation tool that’s endorsed by the Big 4 accounting firms. Graduate with the comprehensive tools and confidence you need to earn your CPA.* View more details on the prep tool.||Our MAcc Bridge option** allows you to apply without a bachelor’s degree in accounting. You’ll take prerequisite courses in accounting and finance to ensure you have the knowledge you need to succeed in this program and beyond..|
Career Outlook: 7% Accounting Career Growth Through 2030
Accounting positions are in very high demand because of globalization and a thriving economy. At the projected rate of growth, about 135,000 openings for accountants and auditors are projected each year in the U.S. through 2030.3
That high demand comes with a high salary. In 2020, accountants and auditors earned a median annual salary of $73,560, and the top 10% earned over $128,680.3
You’ll stand out for top accounting positions now and over the next decade with an AACSB-accredited online master’s in accountancy from Scranton.Career Outlook
Curriculum: Comprehensive and Current Accounting Education
The online MAcc’s 30-credit curriculum consists of 10 total courses and gives you a comprehensive understanding of financial management, economics, auditing, taxation, regulation and accounting ethics.
Our courses are routinely updated and influenced by Scranton’s Accounting Department Professional Alumni Council (ADPAC), a group of practicing CPAs who provide resources such as student mentorship and networking.
We’ll ensure you graduate ready to meet the accounting industry’s most pressing needs.Curriculum
Prepare to Excel in Accounting Careers
When you graduate with your online Master of Accountancy, you’ll be prepared to:
- Apply extensive, practical knowledge in the field of accounting
- Use advanced approaches to leverage accounting as a means of solving business problems
- Comprehend and employ skills needed for identifying and navigating red flags that could indicate occupational fraud
- Critically analyze accounting information to disseminate value-added insights for the firm to make effective economic decisions
- Understand the global environment and critical leadership roles that are associated with the broader business environment
- Demonstrate effective and advanced communication skills to key stakeholders within and outside of the firm
You’ll complete this program with the robust accounting knowledge you need to take the CPA exam.,* You will also have a distinctive set of outcomes depending on which specialization you choose.
In addition to the MAcc’s core courses, you’ll take five elective courses to leverage your accounting skills in an emerging field.
Focus your degree with a specialization in Forensic Accounting or Accounting Analytics, or select any five electives — out of 16 available courses — to tailor your online degree to suit your interests.
MAcc: Forensic Accounting
Harness a dual expertise in accounting and forensics to protect an organization’s most vital assets.
MAcc: Accounting Analytics
Get a competitive edge in accounting with analytical and computer skills to support financial and managerial decision-making.
To apply for the Master of Accountancy, you’ll need:
- Completed application (no application fee required)
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or non-accounting business bachelor’s degree (Bridge courses may be required)
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities
- Personal statement
- 3 letters of references from someone with whom you have an academic or professional relationship
- MAcc Academic Honesty Certification and Agreement Form
Students with a non-accounting business bachelor’s degree may still apply through the MAcc Bridge option, which offers pre-requisite courses in accounting and finance.
Find more details on the Master of Accountancy’s Admission Requirements page.Admissions Info
The Master of Accountancy program at The University of Scranton consists of 30 credit hours and costs $895 per credit hour.
We strive to provide you with an affordable, high-quality education. That’s why we’re ranked a Best Value School, Regional Universities North, by U.S. News & World Report for 2022.4See Tuition
Faculty: Support From Industry Pros
The University of Scranton’s CPA-certified faculty are more than industry experts.
They’re also working professionals and consultants with a long list of award-winning publications. These experienced professionals will support you directly as you earn your online master’s degree.
You’ll also benefit from the close advisement and mentorship of Scranton alumni, our partners at Big 4 accounting firms, and Scranton’s Accounting Department Professional Alumni Council.
Douglas M. Boyle, D.B.A., professor and chair of The University of Scranton’s Accounting Department, was selected as the 2022 Institute of Management (IMA) Research Foundation Distinguished Scholar.Faculty at Scranton
Earn a degree without interrupting your career. You’ll be part of an online learning community led by a diverse and expert faculty. Online programs reflect the same rigorous standards as our on-campus programs.Scranton Online
Financial aid options are available to help you pay for your education. A personal financial aid counselor will assist you in identifying and taking full advantage of all opportunities.Financial Aid Details
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question we don’t cover here, request more information or call 866-373-9547.
The online Master of Accountancy program accepts up to six transfer credits with program director approval. To learn more about credit transfers, request more information or call us at 866-373-9547.
You can complete the online Master of Accountancy program in 18 months. To see the curriculum, view our courses page.
Yes, the online Master of Accountancy program offers two specializations, including Forensic Accounting and Accounting Analytics. You may also select any five electives — out of 16 available courses — to tailor your degree to suit your interests. Learn more about the curriculum for this program here.
The University of Scranton has six start dates throughout the year. To find out when the next start date is, call 866-373-9547 or email.
- College Factual (2022). Accounting at University of Scranton. Retrieved Feb. 7, 2022, from https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-scranton/academic-life/academic-majors/business-management-marketing-sales/accounting/#:~:text=University%20of%20Scranton%20Accounting%20Rankings%20In%20College%20Factual%27s,of%20the%20country%20in%20this%20field%20of%20study
- The University of Scranton (10 Feb. 2021). Accounting Faculty Research Ranked Among the Top in World. Royal News. Retrieved 7 Feb. 2022, from https://news.scranton.edu/articles/2021/02/news-accounting-faculty-intl-rankings.shtml
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2021 September 8). Accountants and Auditors. Occupational Outlook Handbook. Retrieved Feb. 7, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/business-and-financial/accountants-and-auditors.htm
- U.S. News & World Report (2022). The University of Scranton Rankings. Retrieved Feb. 3, 2022, from https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-scranton-3384/overall-rankings
*The University of Scranton accounting program also meets the NYS CPA license education requirements as an “Equivalent to a NYS Licensure Qualifying Registered Program.”
**Many states require 150 semester hours of education within a prescribed accounting coursework curriculum for obtaining the CPA license. Students without prior accounting and related coursework are unlikely to meet this requirement through completing the MAcc program. Such students may need to complete additional required course(s). Please refer to your individual state’s requirements.