Ensure the overall effectiveness of your organization’s operations.
As a manager in the health care field, you’ll need to meet the needs of patients and the general public while competing in the marketplace. Your goal will be to continuously improve the level of customer satisfaction by increasing flexibility and eliminating waste and costs that do not contribute to the final product value.
In HAD 522 Health Care Organization Management and Quality Management, you’ll examine a systems approach to decision making in the operations environment, which emphasizes the interrelationships among operation, finance, accounting, marketing and human resources.
As you come to understand the key functions of health care operations and quality management, you’ll consider the significance of the challenges and opportunities you’ll likely encounter in your career. You’ll examine approaches for assessing and improving organizational effectiveness.
Advances in medicine can improve patient care, but they also present operational challenges. Throughout the course, you’ll examine strategies to address medical progress, including prevention quality indicators, clinical decision supports, and traditional management tools.
Project management has taken center stage in health care problem solving. You’ll learn how project management tools and the Project Management Institute assist with maintaining operations and moving projects forward. You’ll gain an understanding of project scope and work breakdown as well as performance improvement tools, techniques, and programs for problem solving and decision-making in health care operations.
Working with one or two other students, you’ll create a health care quality management manual for a health care business. Developed throughout the semester, this will help you work as an administrator and leader in a health care business or department.
During this course, you’ll have the opportunity to access and use the quality management tools required in health care operations management. You’ll focus on statistical tools with graphical and mathematical application, as well as create a graphical design and flowchart around your current or future health care experience.
Supply chains, specifically pharmaceutical supply chain management, will be examined as you learn forecasting methods, formulas, and relevant health care applications. You’ll discuss demand forecasting, various inventory systems, procurement, and vendor relationships.
Throughout each week of the course, you will focus on a core topic or theme. Sample topics are listed below and are subject to change based on the instructor.
- Health Care Operations Management & Performance Improvement, Challenges and Opportunities
- Health Care Operations Strategies
- Health Care Operations Project Management, Problem Solving, and Decision Making
- Health Care Operations Management Statistical Tools with a Focus on Six Sigma
- Lean Enterprise, Simulation, and Queuing
- Health Care Operations Process Improvement, Patient Flow, Scheduling, and Capacity Management
- Health Care Operations Supply Chain and Pharmaceutical Management
- Improving Financial Performance with Health Care Operations
What You'll Learn
- Apply health care operations and quality management skills for problem solving and decision making.
- Integrate the professions of health care operations, quality management and health administration.
- Understand how health care operations and quality management affect allied health professionals and others.
- Develop and use new ways of thinking about health care operations and quality management jobs and professions.
- Analyze the impact health care operations has on quality management strategy formulation and strategy implementation.
- Be able to integrate health care operations and quality management with organization and performance outcomes.
In HAD 522, you’ll focus on developing a continuous quality improvement approach to organizational operations. For more information about this course or other courses in The University of Scranton’s online Master of Health Administration degree, request more information or call us today toll-free at (866) 373-9547.
The content presented on this page is representative information for example purposes and is subject to change as course and student needs change over time.