A complete approach to leadership in the accounting field.
The University of Scranton’s online Master of Accountancy (MAcc) ensures that students:
- Master the practical hands-on skills that accounting professionals need to become influential and strategic business leaders
- Master the soft skills and communication proficiencies needed to manage teams and client relationships
- Understand the ethical components of managing organizational finance
The MAcc online embodies the rigor of the Kania School of Management’s AACSB accreditation, the ethical foundations of a Jesuit education, and the accounting knowledge with robust CPA exam preparation through Wiley CPAexcel®.
An Accounting Degree to Set Yourself Apart
Whether professionals are pursuing 30 credit hours to become CPA certified2, seeking management and leadership strategies for career advancement or a combination of both, the online MAcc at The University of Scranton takes a practical and comprehensive approach to develop the quantitative, analytical, and soft skills that are immediately applicable to professional accounting roles. Ranked first for Top Online Master in Accounting programs1, the program syncs to the everyday life of working professionals who are looking for a well-rounded education.
Alumni of The University of Scranton are employed by the Big4, regional and local public accounting firms, many of whom consult for and contribute to the program’s curriculum. Meet our Professional Council Alumni!
Throughout the online accounting master’s degree program, students are prepared to:
- Apply extensive, practical knowledge in the field of accounting
- Apply advanced approaches to leveraging accounting as a means of solving business problems
- Comprehend and employ skills needed for identifying and navigating red flags that could indicate occupational fraud
- Critically analyze accounting information to disseminate value-added insights for the firm for effective economic decisions
- Understand the global environment and critical leadership roles that are associated within the broader business environment
- Demonstrate effective and advanced communication skills to key stakeholders within and outside of the firm
MACC Bridge Option - Open to Non-Accounting Majors
Students with a non-accounting bachelor’s degree are encouraged to apply for the online MAcc program through the Accounting Bridge option. The MACC Bridge option at The University of Scranton offers the necessary prerequisite courses online to provide the foundation in accounting needed to be successful in the master’s program. Students may be required to complete some or all of the following courses before they can begin the master’s degree coursework:
- ACC 502 Accounting for Management
- Students may also take one of the following: ACC 538 Accounting Communication or ACC 539 Accounting Ethics
- ACC 505 Intermediate Accounting I
- ACC 506 Intermediate Accounting II
- ACC 507 Intermediate Accounting III
What Does a Leader in Accounting Do?
Accountancy leadership roles – especially for those with a graduate education – are in high demand. Someone with an advanced degree may find themselves in a wide range of upper-level career paths including a Director of Accounting, Tax Director, Director of Finances, Financial Analyst, Chief Risk Officer, or a variety of other roles.
Job functions can greatly vary depending on your specialty – these high-level roles may oversee financial consulting, taxes, audits, growth enterprise, or advisory services. These roles often function at a local financial organization or for the Big 4 accounting firms.
These leadership roles are of utmost importance in modern day accounting. After the most recent financial crisis, the need for accounting leaders to be ethical leaders and transparent in their daily business is crucial to the long-term success of any organization.
Ranked 1st for Top online Master in Accounting programs1
Master of Accountancy Program Highlights
Highlights of the online Masters of Accountancy program include:
- CPA Exam Preparation: The Big 4 Firms-endorsed Wiley CPAexcel® is available at a deep discount to MAcc students so every student has the comprehensive tools and confidence to pass the CPA exam following graduation.
- Soft Skills Development: One of the most important skills accountants need are the soft skills to communicate effectively and to manage clients, accounts, and teams. Functional, purposeful, and strategic internal and external communication is an emphasis throughout the program.
- AACSB Accreditation: Housed in the AACSB-accredited Kania School of Management, students experience a rigorous curriculum developed by a CPA-certified faculty of award-winning teachers and researchers.
- Jesuit Mission: Advancing social responsibility, ethics, and education for global justice creates a well-rounded, ethical approach in a field often associated with financial and occupational fraud.
- Convenient & Flexible Online Format: With the online convenience and around-the-clock support offered by The University of Scranton, it’s easier than ever to meet the 30 credit hour requirement and feel confident in your CPA exam prep.
Note that The University of Scranton Accounting Program also meets the NYS CPA license education requirements as an "Equivalent to a NYS Licensure Qualifying Registered Program."
Why The University of Scranton’s Online MAcc
The excellence of our faculty and curriculum is confirmed by the highest designation possible for a business school. The Kania School of Management is among a small number of institutions accredited by the AACSB International (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business). Only 5 percent of educational institutions worldwide that offer business degrees have achieved this distinction. As one of just 28 Jesuit colleges and universities in the United States, we belong to an elite group with a long history of dedication to excellent education suited for the challenges and opportunities of today’s world.
Discover how an online MAcc from The University of Scranton can make a difference in your life. Request more information or speak with a Program Manager at 866-373-9547.
DOUGLAS BOYLE: One thing that's very unique about our online program is we didn't force fit a program that we already had to the online format. We designed our program completely with the practitioner in mind. We put together a council of partners who work in public accounting, and many of them work at the big four and other firms. And that council is really working hand in hand with us on curriculum development, on mentoring our students, and providing them with the skill sets that they need to be successful.
To have a good online experience, it's not just the faculty talking, but it's really your peer group and your fellow students. And my experience has been our program attracts students of that caliber.
DANIEL MAHONEY: We place an emphasis on the development of interpersonal skills, whether interacting with colleagues at the firm or our clients. Another one of the key goals and objectives of our program is the development of strong ethical skills within the individual.
DOUGLAS BOYLE: A lot of our students are going to be pursuing the CPA exam, so we really want to develop them in areas that are going to help them succeed in their career. It's not just a public accounting focused program. It's also what it would take to advance your career through the private ranks up to titles like controllers and CFOs.
DANIEL MAHONEY: A student who has a particular interest in the area of forensic accounting might find it appealing that, within our program, we do offer three very specialized courses in that area. The certified fraud examiner focuses on the detection and deterrence of fraud in general.
DOUGLAS BOYLE: As folks rise up the ranks in accounting, to have really strong ethics and to have really strong networks and to have really strong interpersonal skills is absolutely critical and vital. So really, that ties in perfectly with our Jesuit mission because here at the University of Scranton, we've always taught those things.
1 Earn a Master's in Accounting Online - Top 25 Online Degrees. Retrieved July 14, 2017, from http://www.thebestcolleges.org/top-online-masters-in-accounting/
2Each State has its own Board of Accountancy responsible for licensing the CPAs who practice in that state/jurisdiction. The requirements for the CPA Exam, and CPA licensure differ slightly per state so be sure to check with your specific Board of Accountancy.