The University of Scranton’s online Master of Health Administration (MHA) curriculum is designed to help you meet the challenges of a changing healthcare industry with exceptional leadership, responsive decision-making, and sound knowledge that only a Jesuit education can instill. As one of the few programs with an expert practitioner faculty, we offer you the expertise necessary to excel as a healthcare industry leader as well as the flexibility of an online program.
Health Leadership and Evidence-Based Management Skills
The need for knowledgeable leaders to implement evidence-based management while responding to evidence-based medicine is growing with intensity in today’s healthcare sector. The aging population of the United States in combination with new legislation expanding healthcare access contributes to a rigorous demand for managers with advanced skill sets to organize and manage medical information and healthcare staffs in all areas of the industry.
The online Master of Health Administration offers the flexibility of an online learning environment as well as an effective, manageable internship. You will learn from top-tier, practicing industry professionals who understand the real-world challenges you will face as a healthcare leader. With the online MHA’s focus on top trends in industry change, the program goes beyond preparing you for today’s healthcare industry. As a graduate, you will be prepared to lead the future of healthcare with the confidence and integrity that only The University of Scranton can provide.
What Does a Healthcare Industry Leader Do?
As a healthcare industry leader, you may find yourself in a rewarding career in a managerial, supervisory, or any number of advanced administrative and leadership positions in the healthcare industry. This dynamic and fast-growing field is full of opportunities and challenges for healthcare executives. Healthcare industry leaders may work in a variety of settings including hospitals, medical groups, consulting firms, health insurance organizations, or long-term care facilities.
With numerous changes taking place across the healthcare system, simultaneous changes are needed from those leading the industry on the ground. The ways care is delivered, who provides these services, and how care is financed are all changing. Companies must be ready to reinvent themselves to keep up with the rapidly changing regulatory, financial, and consumer demand. Leaders must be trained to update both their organizations and business practices – company wide – to keep up with all of the advancements in the healthcare system.
Competencies and Accreditation to Set You Apart
The online MHA offers the key competencies to develop leaders who can demonstarte a fluency in managing a healthcare system or organization. Our program uses the ACHE Healthcare Leadership Alliance (HLA) competency model. As a graduate, you will be an expert with 24 core competencies, covered in five critical domains:
- Communication and Relationship Management: Fine tune analysis, interpretation and communication skills to translate factual data, process, direction and research to decision makers.
- Leadership: Develop leadership skills to support the organization and its individuals with a deep understanding of decision making and outcomes in situations internal and external, high-level and granular.
- Professionalism: Engage in continued professional development including reflection and self-directed learning, and understand the impact of professional standards and codes of ethical behavior on the organization.
- Knowledge of the Healthcare Environment: Assess the interrelationships among access, quality, cost, resource allocation, accountability, and community while navigating administrative, functional and developmental responsibilities of the health care organization.
- Business Acumen: Demonstrate critical thinking, analysis, problem solving, and financial management skills necessary to operate, project manage, and run a healthcare organization in today’s economy.
The Graduate Health Administration campus-based program is accredited* by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME, formerly ACEHSA). This accreditation reflects the commitment to and achievement of national standards for graduate level healthcare administration education. The University of Scranton is taking the necessary steps with the online MHA program to apply for CAHME accreditation to accompany the existing accreditation held by the on-campus MHA program. Additionally, the MHA program maintains full graduate membership status with the AUPHA.