Reach your organization’s market through strategic planning.
In HAD 515 Health Care Planning and Marketing, you’ll learn to build strategic marketing plans, how to use benchmarks and metrics to measure levels of success, and how to develop corrective action plans.
A strategic plan for a health care organization must take into consideration the needs and desires of board members, the public, physicians, employees, labor unions, and other stakeholders, all while adhering to national and state regulations. Add to that the call to build on the vision and mission of organizations, and the complexity involved in identifying and defining specific, relevant, and timely goals and objectives becomes apparent.
As a health care manager, you’ll need to understand the factors and forces influencing your organization’s financial stability and delivery of products and services. You’ll evaluate models of strategic planning and the strategic planning process.
You’ll also consider the importance of strategic financial analysis and stakeholder analysis in decision making and planning. You’ll learn to perform a situation analysis that consists of organizational review, external assessment, internal assessment, competitive position, and planning issues.
Throughout this course, you’ll develop a three-part, comprehensive strategic plan in which you’ll conduct an assessment of a real world organization, prepare a budget aligned with the plan, and create operating and human resource metrics for the organization.
Incorporating marketing into a strategic plan requires an understanding of consumer decision making and preferences. You’ll learn to identify consumer needs and wants, as well as how to analyze your competitors. As you consider the range of product and service variations, you’ll see how a mix of marketing and promotional media applies to health services expansion.
Throughout the duration of the course, you’ll examine the development of marketing budgets, advertising campaigns, sales promotions and public relations, as well as the use of market research. Your focus on marketing will also include pricing, distribution, promotion, and marketing control.
Throughout each week of the course, you will focus on core topics or themes. Sample topics are listed below and are subject to change based on the instructor.
- Strategic Planning in Health Care
- Industry and Competitive Analysis
- Assessing the Environment
- Building Strengths and Resource Capabilities
- Strategy Formulation
- Transitioning Planning to Implementation
- Strategic Thinking
- Fundamentals of Health Care Marketing
- Understanding the Consumer
- The Marketing Mix
- Advertising, Sales Management and Control
What You'll Learn
In HAD 515, you’ll gain insight into the purpose, function, and application of planning and marketing in health care.
- Apply the strategic planning process to a health care organization.
- Understand strategic planning and marketing theories, principles, concepts, terms, methods, tactics, and tools.
- Integrate strategic planning with marketing.
- Analyze applications of planning and marketing in health care.
- Know how strategic planning guides an organization in positioning itself in its defined market.
- Discuss and define the position of the marketing function within the overall organizational structure of a health care system.
- Formulate a health services marketing plan.
- Compare alternative market research methods.
- Identify the role and responsibility of health system governance in health care marketing.
In HAD 515, you’ll learn theories, models, and applications pertaining to health care strategic and marketing planning. For more information about this course or other courses in The University of Scranton’s online Master of Health Administration degree, request more information or call us today toll-free at (866) 373-9547.
The content presented on this page is representative information for example purposes and is subject to change as course and student needs change over time.