Understand the use of and interaction between various information systems.
The introduction of information systems into health care organizations forever changed the operational landscape. While the use of health information management is nothing new, in HAD 523 Health Information Technology management, you’ll learn why constantly emerging technology and changing health care laws and regulations require an ongoing focus on these systems.
As you come to understand the health information management process, you’ll review the various information systems used in health care organizations and appreciate the relationships between various applications and information systems. You’ll become familiar with regulatory requirements and legal efforts to enhance the quality of patient care through the use of Information technology.
You’ll learn the parameters for selecting new information systems and evaluate the importance of training and ongoing technical support. You’ll also consider the role of organizational culture in the successful adoption and implementation of technology among various constituents, such as providers, staff and patients.
Complete case study reports and assignments by analyzing relevant issues, evaluating a professional perspective about the topic and making clear, practicable recommendations.
There are national standards requirements for sharing patient and electronic information throughout the continuum of care, and you’ll realize your organization’s responsibility to uphold patient privacy. This will lead you to discuss the Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the need for information technology security standards.
Information technology performs many functions, and you’ll outline the functional job requirements needed to successfully support and maintain its infrastructure. You’ll also consider the need to align an information technology strategy with the goals of your health care enterprise. The various steps and processes of an information technology strategy will be reviewed as you encounter challenges that must be met by senior management.
There are many types of requirements impacting health care systems, such as regulatory, quality and safety issues. You’ll learn how an effective change management process can help meet these requirements and how certain values or returns on investment in information technology can be measured and achieved.
Throughout each week of the course, you’ll focus on a core topic or theme. Sample topics are listed below and are subject to change based on the instructor.
- Introduction to Health Care Informatics
- History and Evolution of Health Care Information Systems and Regulations for Enhancing the Quality of Care
- Acquisition, Adoption and Maintaining Health Care Information System Technologies
- Information Systems Implementation and Support, Standards and Security
- The Organization of Health Care Information Management and the Technology Strategy
- The IT Strategic Planning Process and the Need for IT Governance
- Achieving Value in Health Care Information Systems
What You'll Learn
Through HAD 523, you’ll develop a working knowledge of the information technologies designed specifically for health care organizations.
- Know the basic terminology used in health care information management and information technology.
- Understand various health care information technologies used throughout the continuum of care.
- Know the structure of the health care information management organization and the critical roles and responsibilities within that organization.
- Analyze the methods used to align a health care information management plan with the corporate and strategic goals of a health care organization.
- Develop a strategic plan.
- Conduct a needs assessment.
- Perform systems and vendor selection.
- Align a project team and perform steps for implementation.
- Evaluate techniques for contract negotiation.
- Practice the principles of project management.
- Understand security and confidentiality issues, as well as health care information management trends and risks.
In HAD 523, you’ll become familiar with the capabilities of current and emerging health care information technologies. For more information about this course or other courses in The University of Scranton’s online Master of Health Administration degree, request more information or call us today toll-free at (866) 373-9547.
The content presented on this page is representative information for example purposes and is subject to change as course and student needs change over time.