Effectively manage the human capital asset.
Human resources involves more than hiring employees. Add the legal and regulatory requirements of the health care industry, and human resources management is revealed to be a very complex field. In HAD 504 Human Resources Management, you’ll explore human resource management functions, processes and systems within organizations including recruitment, selection and training of personnel, as well as managing and developing human resources within and between systems/organizations. You’ll also examine organizational performance and the importance of creativity in human resources management.
The organization of a human resources department depends on the health care setting in which it operates. You’ll examine various models as well as the relationship between the human resource operations, executive leadership, and other departments within the organization. You’ll see how human resource management services are subdivided according to the major tasks of acquiring, maintaining, retaining, discharging or separating employees. You’ll also examine the financial contributions the human resource department makes to the organization by managing liability imposed by local, state, and federal legislation.
Explore this and more in HAD 504.
Recruiting new talent must be followed by effective employee training and development, then by performance evaluation and incentives. You’ll learn the components of employee education as well as compensation and benefits, and the role of a well-tailored performance management system. In the role of a human resource department or hiring manager, it’s critical that you understand your organization’s turnover costs, costs per hire, as well as other metrics. Throughout this course, you’ll examine how each of these factors are determined.
Just as recruiting employees is key to an organization, so is disciplining, counseling and terminating underperforming employees. Employee performance improvement should be the primary focus of any managerial action, but it is not always effective. You’ll learn the proper methods for performance improvement, documentation, and if warranted, terminating employees. There are proper procedures for layoffs and you’ll learn these, as well as ways to and handle and continue to motivate survivors. You’ll also gain insight into the influence of organized labor in health care settings and learn about the challenges with not only organized labor or unions, but employee relations in general.
You will identify and nurture a relationship with an experienced health care manager or administrator to serve as your mentor throughout the semester.
Throughout each week of the course, you will focus on a core topic or theme. Sample topics are listed below and are subject to change based on the instructor.
- Overview and Fundamentals of Human Resource Management in Health Care
- Services of Human Resource Management
- Recruitment of Human Capital in a Health Care Setting
- Discipline and Other Workforce Actions with Employees
- Balancing the Needs of the Organization
- Special Situations in Human Resource Management
- Maintaining an Effective Human Resource Department
What You’ll Learn
In HAD 504, you’ll gain insight into the issues faced in contemporary human resource management.
- Identify and apply knowledge about human resources management.
- Put human resource principles, concepts, generalizations, theories and models into practice.
- Apply human resources management for problem solving and decision making.
- Use skills, competencies, values, and points of view pertaining to human resources.
- Integrate the professions of human resources management and health administration.
- Understand how human resources management affects allied health professionals and others.
- Develop and use new ways of thinking about human resources, jobs, and professions.
- Analyze the impact human resources management has on strategy formulation and strategy implementation.
Managing human resources in a health care setting presents unique challenges that you’ll learn to overcome in this course. For more information about this course or other courses in The University of Scranton’s online Master of Health Administration degree, request more information or call us today toll-free at (866) 373-9547.
The content presented on this page is representative information for example purposes and is subject to change as course and student needs change over time.