Develop, present, and defend policy solutions for a real company.
This is it. This is where you’ll put everything you’ll have learned in this program to the test. The capstone course for The University of Scranton’s MBA program, MGT 509 encompasses an engaging, exciting experience that tests your individual abilities and teams you with fellow students to accomplish a comprehensive case report for larger organizations.
Where does this course fall in your Flex curriculum?
MGT 509 is the capstone course required of all MBA candidates.
Throughout this program, you have absorbed information about the many individual disciplines that you might use to develop a policy statement utilizing skills , from financial reports to marketing initiatives, from project management to human resources issues, and from investment strategies to globalization. In MGT 509, you’ll showcase your mastery of these disciplines and learn to integrate them through the course’s three components —case analyses of single business units, policy solution analysis, and strategy development.
The course will introduce a study of the Porter model among others and include topics like major company objectives and the specific strategic initiatives to accomplish those goals/objectives. You’ll examine the costs and funding sources of strategies. You’ll realize thatan analysis of the industry, of industry segments, and of company characteristics, that organizations can result in more than just one “right” strategy leading you toanalyze, justify, and choose your opinion of the best path, an important skill you’ll put to use in your capstone policy solutions and in your professional life.
An early focus of this course will also include development of industry definition, then analysis of issues, including industry segment and company situation analysis. By developing and using tools like strategic group maps for a given case, you’ll understand important components of rivaly and competition that the case company faces.
Demonstrate this in MGT 509.
While you and your team develop your strategy solutions, you’ll complete course assignments that consist of analyzing different cases from companies in varying industries, all from the point of view of top management.
This course culminates in team presentations of strategy proposals, thorough analysis and critique by the class as a whole, and team defenses of proposed policies.
What You’ll Learn
MGT 509 is the culmination of your MBA program, synthesizing what you’re learned in your coursework and challenging you to integrate your knowledge and put it into action.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the basic components of strategy formulation.
- Construct a strategy to accomplish the strategic objectives that you develop.
- Analyze industries and companies.
- Evaluate and prioritize ethical, environmental, and social justice issues within a business strategy.
- Understand basic components of strategic analysis.
- Develop a variety of industry segment and company situation analyses via tools like the strategic group map
- Evaluate historical financial data and prepare and/or evaluate strategic financial forecasts.
- Integrate strategic analysis with objectives and strategy development.
- Judge a recommended strategy within the context of a company's current position in a comprehensive and integrative manner.
- Communicate effectively when justifying decisions about or elaborating upon specific aspects of your company's goals and objectives, initiatives, and strategic plans or when offering a critique of others’ work
Determining a policy solution requires a comprehensive understanding of issues, options, consequences and outcomes. For more information about The University of Scranton’s online Master of Business Administration degree, request more information or call us today toll-free at (866) 373-9547.
The content presented on this page is representative information for example purposes and is subject to change as course and student needs change over time.